View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #69
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
I hear you! I'm all for getting rid of the EPA, government and government regulators that continue to take our choices and personal freedoms from us. The big issue is that the majotity of the American public has no concept of what is happening, or they support it or there are some who are just too ignorant to realize anything.
I just wish someone could explain to me why we have these CAFE standards now. They are obsolete. They were introduced in the 1970's to help reduce the amount the US relied on foreign oil, as a response to the OPEC embargo.

Since the percentage of oil we import was 20% then and is 60% now, the CAFE standards have clearly proven to be another spectacular success story of regulatory actions! (Right up there with the war on poverty, which has increased in spite of trillions of dollars thrown at it).

CAFE has outlived its usefulness, and we must progress past these outdated documents from bygone eras. The people who wrote CAFE could not possibly know that in 4 decades we would have Hybrids, and Direct Injection, and the Internet. Obviously, they were a bunch of backwards old guys with thick glasses, funny suits, and odd hairstyles who could not possibly know how to write a regulation for the modern era.

We need to move forward past CAFE, and make sure that everyone who wants a V8 Camaro will be able to purchase one at a reasonable price. The biggest crime would be to deny the average Camaro enthusiast the ability to purchase and enjoy the Camaro he/she wants with whatever engine they prefer.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote