View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #61
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
Key word = "affordable".

Yes... no doubt the V8 Camaro will carry on thru the the 6th Gen car.

However, given impending CAFE standards Chevrolet will simply need to find a way to curtail sales of V8 cars.

I remember the early predictions made by Chevy with respect to the mix of V6 vs. V8 cars before the 5th Gen car came to market. Chevy was banking on a production mix of 80% V6 and 20% V8 cars. Big joke... in reality, that proportion was reversed, based on the unexpected demand for the SS! The good news was that the V8 car was significantly more profitable for GM than the V6. (so let's leave well enough alone!) The bad news is that CAFE numbers took a hit as a result. Again, given the new fuel economy requirements coming down the road, GM cannot afford to have that kind of imbalance between the V6 and V8 cars again.
V8 sales will need to be limited in order to meet the new requirements - and as has already been demonstrated, Chevy cannot depend on consumer demand to strike a balance in order to meet requirements. The clear choice among Camaro enthusiasts looks to be the V8.

The easiest way to limit the number of V8s on the road is to make them less attainable by making them more expensive. My prediction is that the V8 Camaro will live on in the 6th Gen car, but those of us who want (need) a V8 will have to dig a lot deeper into our pockets to get one.

Best regards,

Elie
V6 sales have been much higher than V8 sales for a very long time now....since about mid to 3/4 the way through the 2010 model year.