View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Where did you get that from? There are a lot of inaccuracies there. Alpha is the small RWD platform for the Cadillac 3 series fighter. I heard talk that it would be somewhat of a combination of Zeta and Kappa, but I heard nothing about Sigma having anything to do with Alpha. Then there were plans to merge the STS and DTS replacements into one Zeta vehicle, but those plans are delayed for now. Sounds like this article, wherever it comes from, got that all jumbled.

Lets be reasonable about this: Cadillac is going global. It is mounting a direct assault on the German luxury brands, and to do that it needs 3-series and 7-series size cars, including coupes and convertibles. Cadillac is one of GM's core brands and, most would argue, its strongest. It will have competitive products and that means various size RWD cars. However, I think the goal of having a number of RWD cars in the lower brands is probably on hold for now, until we get these CAFE, alternative fuels, gas price, environmental regulations, and other powertrain-related concerns taken care of. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Camaro and Corvette remain as the only non-Cadillac RWD GM cars, and two RWD cars to a basic brand is pretty good. If Pontiac really does become a niche brand, we may even see some Aussie imports come over. And once the car really is taken out of the environmental equation, the performance wars are back on. You can bet your last dollar on it.

As for the next Camaro, I'd love to see it be about the size of the RX-8, with an emphasis on handling and high-tech, smaller, but very powerful engines. Small DI V6s and V8s should do the trick nicely.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote