View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
This is simply not going to happen. General Motors is a company known for producing cars for the masses. As a result, a lot of products will share components, and you've got to expect that 2 cars on the same frame are going to have a lot of interchangeable parts. Even if GM went to the added expense to design a front fascia that doesn't match up to the fenders, meaning new fenders for just another trim level, someone would find a way to make it work. Car bodies are mostly cosmetic, and enough grinding and welding will make a similar bumper that wasn't designed to go there fit.

Let's also consider the manufacturing costs and how that affects your cost as a customer. Are you willing to pay thousands of dollars for futile attempts to limit the transfer of a ZL1 bumper to a LS, or would you be satisfied in a GT500 that suddenly costs less? While some enthusiasts go wild over cloned cars, remember that the average buyer is looking for some combination of price and product. While a product like the Camaro SS is unique from the V6 and a lot of cars on the road, someone in a V6 is going to install that SS bumper. If it's not a direct fit, they'll make it fit anyway, even if GM makes that difficult.

You're asking for GM to make manufacturing these parts as difficult as possible when GM is in the business of streamlining manufacturing of the world's greatest cars. Let them invest in great engineering and design. If someone clones your car, consider it a compliment and move on.