View Single Post
Old 03-05-2024, 02:02 PM   #37
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_cruiser View Post
Good idea. The extension is not particularly long so I am actually thinking of taking it back out to wire in longer wires for the power. I will still wrap it in the OEM looking tape to make it seem factory. This will give me the flexibility of hiding the original OBD much further away from the dummy one.
I've ordered the OBD extension/splitter and toggle switch. $20. I'll make it up and have wires long enough to locate the switch somewhere else entirely. We could use CAT6 between the switch and data cabling to make a long extension easy (i.e. trunk).

Someone could also just move the OBD port to the trunk with an extension cable, no one would look there. But we'd want to really dig into the dash to make access to the legit plug nearly impossible without a lot of time.

For those of us doing this mod, we want to ensure it's not easy for thieves to just reach their hand under and fish around for the factory connector. The easiest way to make this mod permanant is to remove the driver's seat to allow a comfortable access to this area, then remove the kick panel cover and re-route factory wiring. Finish it off with a roll of TessaTape for an oem look. Having power to the dummy OBD port makes a lot of sense as it will add confusion over one that doesn't have any pins. We want a Tx error to be the impetus to just abandon the task.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote