View Single Post
Old 11-17-2023, 08:34 AM   #1349
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
Wrong.

I stand by the fact Chevy is a division of the General Motors company. You can spin it all you want but you are 100% incorrect.

Per wickipedia:

"Chevrolet (/ˌʃɛvrəˈleɪ/ SHEV-rə-LAY) (colloquially referred to as Chevy and formally the Chevrolet Motor Division of General Motors Company) is an American automobile division of the manufacturer General Motors (GM).
That is at best a 1980s definition of the company. In the mid-80s (I was there when it happened) the company reorganized the company. The focus was to set up administrative activities under BRANDS (Buick, Cadillac Chevrolet, GMC, Oldsmobile, Pontiac) and all the manufacturing operations got pulled into “divisions”. So at that time, I went from working for Buick Transmission to working for Hydramatic Division without even moving my desk. This was all a result of the “why does my Oldsmobile have a Chevrolet engine?” Lawsuits in the ‘80s. Manufacturing operations got moved into operating divisions that provided product to the BRANDS. That’s why Camaros and Cadillacs can be built in the same plant and use the same engines and transmissions. The manufacturing division makes the parts / cars and provides them to the BRANDS for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
Unless that is you're referring to it's historic placement, as yes you would be correct that it was in fact a brand from 1911-1918.

People might "buy" Chevrolet, but they all know it's General Motors they're buying. No one has ever bought an Impala thinking it was built by Honda.
You’d actually be surprised how many people DON’T know that Chevrolet is General Motors or that Cadillac is General Motors. A few years after the restructuring that I referred to above, some of the leadership did a survey to better understand brand awareness. They came to the conclusion that people knew what a Chevrolet was and what a Cadillac was but did not realize the association with General Motors. The result was the addition on all GM vehicles of the little chiclet that said GM. I’m sure some here remember those and may even have a car somewhere that still has them. That didn’t last long. Logic kicked in and people understood the difference between BRAND and CORPORATION and the chiclets were removed.

Actually, rather than rely on Wikipedia, why not just ask GM how they define their brands. Photo below…
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote