View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #20
Blazin40s

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Dual clutch transmissions (short and condensed version) have a start up mode that allows the clutch to disengage from the engine (and to remain disengaged while under brake load, sitting still and what not) but shift in fractions of the time that an traditional automatic does. It also does not have the differing lock ups and torque magnification due to the lack of torque converter. It is an "automatic" only because it CAN shift for you, and you aren't working a clutch petal. Entirely different machines.

I love my manual and rather dislike automatics... but the DCT in my fathers car is to die for. The shift time is ridiculous.
While I don't doubt a DCT could be the better performer, using an 8 speed that's in your parts bin that can almost match the shift speed and have the smoothness of a conventional auto is hard to pass up. And if it can handle Z06 power and truck duty than I might spec one my next Camaro, and I love rowing gears. But if you're sacrificing performance for the sake of shifting yourself, I think you might need to reconsider why manuals were popular and always an option; they allowed the car to be faster. There is a reason you can't get a manual in a Lamborghini anymore...
Blazin40s is offline   Reply With Quote