Thread: I broke my 1le
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by eblanchette View Post
Hey everybody. While being distracted by the bluetooth voice recognition not working on mylink, I accidentally hit the sidewalk with my driver side wheel. The wheel is a mess, and I removed it to see the damage on other parts. on the drive back home after the accident, the tire rubbed against the strut plate, and the car was obviously totally misaligned due to the bent ctrl arm.

here are some pictures :

Bent Control Arm

Broken Wheel

So my question would be, besides ordering a new contrl arm, what else should I look into? Will I need an alignment? other parts?
You'll want the knuckle inspected ("spindle"), because the steering arm (what the tierod connects to) may also be bent. I'd check the tierods as well, and the bracket that the bent control arm bolts up to on the frame side. I don't know if the wheel can be saved or not, but if you tend to drive the corners harder than average traffic I'd add that to the list.

There is no way you're going to get out of this without an alignment, done by a good shop.

Don't know if it'll make you feel any better, but I suppose it could have been worse. having some tech feature start nagging at you over the speaker because you accidentally hit some steering wheel button on the way to hitting the horn because of what some other driver was doing comes to mind.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote