View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompstl1 View Post
At the Texas Mile I was wanting to do a conventional type burnout prior to running the mile. I wasn't interested in going through the line lock procedure and simply wanted to apply the brakes and do a standard burnout. To accomplish that, I held down the traction control button for 7 seconds until I got both lights. I was also in Race mode.

As soon as the tires began to spin, the traction control would limit the spin by cutting throttle (or timing or whatever method used to limit acceleration). Tried quite a few times and COULD NOT burnout with both lights on.

Eventually, I tried the burnout with only the 1st light on and to my surprise the burnout went great.

Is my car not working correctly? I thought when both lights were burning there would be no nanny preventing the burnout. That's absolutely not true with my car.
No idea! 7 seconds is supposed to turn every nanny OFF. But I've never tried a burnout under those conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
Same as corvette. Single light equal’s burn out. This has been a issue for years in the C7. Too dang confusing.
So odd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
I was under the impression this was the opposite. You're making me doubt myself though.

The high speed tests I recall seeing I thought were out before much was really known about the 1LE capabilities. In these tests the auto ZL1 went 200+ while the M6 was still a bit shy (190s).

My understanding was the drag created by the aero in the 1LE alone would prevent it from getting too far beyond 175, and the gearing difference didn't help.

P.S. The ring was incredible from my standpoint too.
This is true/untrue.

So, the standard manual ZL1 cannot reach its top speed. 6th gear is limiting, for fuel economy. The auto ZL1 can do it because of so many danged gear ratios. I think it hits 200 in 8th gear...

The ZL1 1LE had 6th gear revised, so the car CAN reach it's top speed, by putting the engine in the power band. That top speed will not be 200 mph. But the aero on the car is less drag-inducing that one might thing, because the biggest component is the wing, not a "spoiler". On the main straight of the Nordschleife, ZL1 auto hit 181mph, and ZL1 1LE hit 173. So figure, ZL1 has another 20mph in it, and ZL1 1LE probably 12-15mph.

Anyways, this is more about a "real person" putting a factory car through it's paces, and what an amazing run that was. Didn't mean to thread-jack! Gives me hope for this coming summer, now that I'm familiar with the car!