Thread: zl1 vs demon
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2018, 07:56 PM   #225
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
It's always up to the drivers as we saw in this race. If the Demon had been piloted perfectly, than maybe it would have won. Maybe. But Nick, who I usually find to be a tool, actually produced pretty good results here. Even when waiting for the Demon to slam it before he went, AND coming from behind, his ~610-620 RWHP ZL1 pulled on it. I'm not counting the races he did against Mike and the one he did were they both went on 3 but the Demon driver was leaving it in D and waiting for the downshift. Had all races been like that, then I wouldn't have said anything. But the 2 races where Nick let him get the drop (Especially the one with the 570S where he started WELL after the Demon got a more than fair "hit") were pretty telling to me. So I'm not going to bother talking HP and power to weight and all that. We all know where the Demon sits there and where a stock ZL1 sits (Of course, Nick's ZL1 was NOT stock, Intake and Tune, and Nick drove his properly).

But to answer your kind of sarcastic questions, yes, on the street, if the Demon driver doesn't know what he's doing, you have a pretty good chance at beating them in a ZL1. Same thing for Hellcats, Z06s, and many other cars that are in the ZL1's ball park. If we put a perfect driver in both cars, sure, the Demon PROBABLY would beat it, more so from a dig than from a roll though. An A10 ZL1 is not going to be dismissed easily though from a roll, this is proven now.

And don't underestimate me, I'm not taking either the first video or this video at face value. I'm not saying "Oh, ZL1 won, it's faster" like a brain-dead idiot. I'm factoring in many things. My logic shows me that even in the race with Nick, once both cars were in their power and were running side by side, Nick's car pulled. So I'm thinking, ok, even if the Demon had started properly in 2nd gear and the driver knew how to drop it back into automatic once they started, I'm not seeing the Demon pulling away from Nick's ZL1. At best, they'd run side by side until instant-jailtime speeds.

That's all. And I really think the argument "It's a Hellcat with 100 more HP" is dumb when it's tried to be used to show how fast it is. Just like what's happening with the C7 ZR1 (If you are on CF you'd be reading this), traction on these high HP, RWD, front engined cars is holding them back severely. The ZR1 is HARDLY outrunning Z06s under 100-120 MPH. Again, I know many factors play into this like aero and stuff. But the same thing is happening with the Hellcat vs. Demon I think. The Hellcat already pushes into the limits of traction. A Demon and a Hellcat, raced equally with drag radials, no trans brake, and regular foot to the floor racing, would probably be VERY close up until 100+ MPH. Benefits of 750+ HP aren't going to come into play until triple digits. And that's well proven on the street and on the track.

Keep it a friendly discussion. I'm here to dispute facts and figures, not hate or love on one car particularly.
I'll put it simply. A low 600 HP ZL1 is not going to beat a stock Demon provided both drivers have equal driving skills. A shitty driver in a Demon will lose to a good driver in a ZL1. We all know this. Just like a shitty driver in a ZL1 will lose to a good driver in a GT. So let's drop the driving skills out of the equation. The discussion is not about driver ability in either car. It is about which car is faster. A Demon is hands down faster than a ZL1. That is not up for debate. A Demon is faster than a ZL1 with a tune and CAI. Hands down. A Demon against a bolt-on tuned pullied ZL1 would be a good race. But even then I would say it will be either dead even with the win going to whoever gets the jump or the Demon will win. The Demon is faster. I'll go as far as to say that the ZL1 without FBO, pulley, and tune would be no match for a Demon in a roll race and/or in a drag race.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote