View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #17
jesusmetal777
noob

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7WSM View Post
Figuring out the bite point of the clutch might be the hardest part of learning how to drive a manual. With most V8s if you let off the clutch slow enough, you can get the car moving without even using the gas pedal.
THIS^^^

OP, I (like you) decided to finally learn manual transmission driving specifically for this car, (my first sports car) and have marveled at the irony of this new A10 coming out in the very same model year. But such is life.

In the summer I took a one hour manual driving lesson at a local driving school and then invested in a 2001 Ford Ranger 5 speed which I drove for 3 months (and still occasionally do); I wanted not just to know how to drive manual when I got my ZL1, but I also wanted to be "decent" at it. At a minimum I would recommend paying $75 for a one hour lesson. A professional instructor will have unique insights to offer, not to mention there won't be the pressure of "performing" for a friend or family member.

For me, like anything in life, when I'm unsure of how to proceed I go back to my narrative. Are you looking to beat hellcats at the drag strip or shave tenths off your lap time to beat cars that cost 4x your new ZL1? Or are you looking for a more engaging driving experience? This new A10 is an incredible piece of technology, but as others have stated nothing can replace the level of engagement and "oneness" with the vehicle that a manual transmission provides.