View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #9
CrazyRED

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4545 View Post
In a way I can see where there coming from, there talking about non validated software changes here. Your high speed lan carries some fairly important messages and they all have to share the same data. Think of one possible future scenario, some guy buys a "chip" that plugs into his OBDII port which allows him to raise the convertible top at 30mph while watching TV. This guy crashes and a few milliseconds later all the modules in the car "go quiet" and one message goes out on the network... "fuel pumps off", but his neat little "chip" steps on that message because it was never tested in a crash.

Or a scenario that could happen today, that Vitesse throttle controller that's become so popular, does anybody know what the fail state of it is? Will the throttle be at zero or something a little more random? Can it still affect the throttle after a failure and its turned off? Does it draw power for the display from one of the 5 volt reference signals and does it maintain double redundancy in the circuit? They only have an off road use only disclaimer on the website.

The concern is that the more advanced the technology becomes, the more open it is to untested mods which would not only render the car unsafe for the occupants, but more dangerous to other people on the road and if it cant be hardware protected then they want legal protection.
I think we all probably understand that. That is not the complaint. The complaint is that it is my car to do with as I see fit, not theirs.

I don't think I've ever seen a legitimate claim of a person tuning their car, wrecking it, and successfully suing the manufacture for their negligence.
CrazyRED is offline   Reply With Quote