View Single Post
Old 01-20-2024, 06:26 PM   #1580
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
So I’ve made the Costco trip and back. Turns out that 9.5 miles is as the crow flies. Actual miles driven is 15.5 miles each way. So a total of 31 miles, not the 19 I said earlier. Driving that 31 miles burned 53 miles of range. This is at air temperature 15 degrees when I left, 19 degrees by the time I got home.

I left home with 260 miles of range and returned with 207 miles of range. Highway speeds were my typical 75-80 mph. It consumed 11 kWh out of an 81 kWh battery charged to 80%, so roughly 64 kWh, minus the 11 used leaves me with 53kWh.

Average energy usage for the trip was 352 Wh/mile. That’s compared to our normal usage of 336 Wh/mile so roughly 5% more energy per mile. I’m thinking that these measures are energy usage at the motors only and not taking into account the extra energy draw for heating the cabin. The drop off in total range is more than 5%. More like around 40%.

So now I’m home, plugged in. Later when it’s time to go pick up my son at the airport I’ll leave the house with 260 miles of range.
The 260 miles it shows is based off its 276 wh/mi EPA rating and the battery power available. So your normal 336 wh/mi consumption would already result in less range than it is showing.

Tesla’s range guess o meter on the top of the screen sucks that way in it doesn’t adjust based off your driving habits/style and consumption that results. The energy app will show an estimated range based on current consumption though.

It’s why the common advice is to have the display show percentage instead of miles.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote