View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #19
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Wish there were more threads like these with actual information and honest debate...

I encourage all car fans to test drive the ats...it really is a nicely done car
Definitely make a point of doing this in order to put things in perspective and get a handle on how a 6th Gen might feel. I think anyone who takes the time to do this will be very impressed!
I drove a loaded AWD 3.6 a couple of weeks before heading down to Indy for the gathering and my impressions are thus:
- handling and response to steering inputs are fantastic. Agile and athletic with lightning-like reflexes. The lighter weight stands out front and center. Responsiveness is definitely comparable to my '10 CTS-V.
- ride is superb with the MRC. Definitely a worthwhile investment (IMHO) if it is an option on the 6th Gen.
- front seat comfort and room is excellent! No complaints as far as the standard seats are concerned (and I'm very, very critical of run-of-the-mill standard GM seating.) These seats are great!
-rear seat - fuggedaboutit! The ATS may as well be a coupe (visibility out back ain't great either). I'm over 6' and it was a PITA to get in and out of the back seat. The problem is getting your head (if you are a tall person) tucked under the roofline during ingress. Egress is just as challenging. However, once you've managed to shoehorn yourself into the back seat, the room isn't all that bad. If there's a person in the seat in front of you, they may have to move it up a bit. (so what else is new?) Tall folks may have to keep their heads down in the back, but that's par for the course in a 5th Gen as well!
-power is ample with the 3.6. No huge raves, but I'm sure most will find the power level to be a bit more than adequate for everyday driving (my viewpoint may be somewhat skewed, coming from a CTS-V). However, I could easily see the 420 HP TT 3.6 from the 2014 CTS V-Sport as an uplevel powertrain option on this SWB Alpha platform. Having that option available would just be so sweet in this car! (ATS-V?)
- the car had a whole whack of warning notifications (optional, thank goodness) that I found somewhat disturbing... the seat vibrates if someone comes up beside you... don't need it and don't like it 'cuz I like to use my mirrors and those seat vibrations are intrusive. If there's a car on your right, the right side of the seat vibrates - similar if there's a car on the left.
Hopefully you don't get too close to the car in front of you, otherwise the DIC will warn you of an impending collision... good stuff if you don't like to focus on your surroundings when you are driving!!
So all in all, a great package from a performance perspective. I'm very confident that GM can fine tune the road feel on this platform to the wants and needs demanded by the Camaro market (and blow the the new Mustang out of the water at all levels!)

Things are lookin' great from where I sit!

Best regards,

Elie