View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #92
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Of course its all speculation, but thats the fun part. I don't know crap about what is going to happen, but I'm going to comment anyway!

Although I do agree that sitting on the current design/engine/chassis for another 10+ years is just too long, we all know that isn't going to happen. There will be various changes throughout, like how Ford changed up the styling on their 2010 Mustangs. We can see this happening already, with the 2012 interior, and revised suspension on the 2012 SS Camaro's, but eventually (in my opinion, around the 2013 to 2015 model years) there will need to be some refreshing done to the styling to hold interest...again I refer to the 2010 Mustang. In my head, I see something like the small picture I've attached to this post. It is not a huge change (revised fascia, and air inlets on the sides), but enough for someone to know it is new! Actually, I'm sure that is a pre-production concept photo, but Ford did the same eventually including some of the 05 mustang concept designs in its GT500 that were skipped initially upon the regular 05's release.

The one thing that may move it all forward is what Ford does with its Mustang for 2014/2015 when they move to a brand new generation. There are "reports" that it could be as light or lighter than the current car. If it is, and its attractive looking, Camaro will need to move to keep up.

Everyone is hoping for a nice weight reduction when the Alpha platform finally comes out. But will that actually happen? Now I hear that since that platform may be used for larger cars/engines than originally thought, it too has gained weight and may not be much if any lighter than the current platform....but who really knows besides the true insiders.

Anyways, with all that said, I think it is safe to say GM is aware of all this and if they are truely "in it to win" as they say, they won't be sitting still anytime soon.
Attached Images