View Single Post
Old 06-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #23
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
The person that posted up the information on the GMI website appears to be the same individual that posted up the thread on there "confirming" the LGX V6 in the 6th gen Camaro.

In case anyone wants to see more on that, see this thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362124

Quote:
Originally Posted by roorback View Post
What is the reason behind the turbo 4? If it's because of the Mustang then GM needs to stop copying everyone and start being a leader. I don't see a huge tuner market for Camaros and frankly I don't revel in seeing Camaro's/Mustangs reverting back to the iron duke days.
Its not copying...its a different approach than Ford. Ford is offering the V6 as the base engine, and the 2.3 as an option. Its clear that Ford is wanting to phase out the V6, as many options available on the 2.3 are not available on the V6, thus it will probably be the weakest seller over time, and give Ford a reason to axe it.

GM will likely offer the 2.0 as the base engine, unless they ramp up the power in it more than it has in other applications. So I see one of two things happening here: 1) 2.0 turbo as base, and V6 as option for slight price bump, but that's only if the 2.0 doesn't get a power bump. 2) Otherwise bump the 2.0 power a bit, and offer it for the same price as the V6, giving the buyers two good options based on their own preference. Frankly I'd love this approach.

The V6 will likely offer more power, and efficiency than the current LFX, which is already doing well in both areas. It will compete well with Ford's 2.3 stock to stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
I wonder how that would work comparison wise? I just can't see magazines testing a 4 cylinder Mustang vs a V6 Camaro and a 4 cylinder Camaro vs a V6 Mustang. It will be interesting for sure to see how this will play out. I wouldn't go for a 4 cylinder Camaro but I don't have a problem with it entering the lineup. I would like to see them go more for fuel economy with that model.
Who cares? I say mix it up. Give us options! It was Fords decision to change up the mix and make the 4 cylinder the option, while GM may take a more traditional approach. I say get both 4 cylinders, and both V6s and take em all out and do one big comparison. Would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Al Oppenheiser said he doesn't want a 4 cylinder.

What Al wants and what GM orders him to do are two different things.
Exactly.