View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #98
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by revychevy View Post
But there is a thing that is the Essence (in my opinion, and I'm nobody) that is Camaro. I'm just a fan, a faceless guy who wanted the car he lusted after since grade school. (Early '70's)
If you think that the essence of a Camaro is V8 only, you're forgetting that the 1st gen cars were saddled with 1-barrel carb'ed inline sixxes that were good for making noise (and little else) above 3500 rpm.

Remember that the Camaro originally came in response to Ford's Mustang, the 6 cylinder versions of which have been roundly criticized as being "secretary's cars".

Nobody is trying to say that your vision of "Camaro essence" is wrong, or that you aren't entitled to it. Only that the "Camaro essence" has been and still is somewhat wider than just V8's and a dual exhaust rumble.

Hey, I like V8's too. I've owned several V8 cars, still have one, and I could probably assemble two or three V8 engines just scrounging around in the garage for parts.

Actually, I like short-stroke high revving V8's the best. I'm going to stick my neck out a bit and guess that those engines wouldn't quite fit your definition of "Camaro essence", either. The original Z/28 with its 302 CID engine notwithstanding. You'd be the die-hard big-block fan, right?

Quote:
econo green
Word like that are loaded with way too much association to outright opposition to performance. It's not nearly as true now as it was 30 or 40 years ago, and using them to ridicule opinions that differ from your own is just a needless distraction.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote