View Single Post
Old 04-16-2022, 08:09 AM   #53
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Again, I want a car that handles well, is engaging to drive, and will age well. EVs offer nothing for me.

The problem with the V6 Caddys isn't that they make sound. Its that they make terrible sounds. The criticism wasn't from people wanting no sound. Quite the opposite. The critcs wanted sound...just a different one.

The Toyota fake manual effort proves the point of EVs appliance nature better than anything I can think of. When I first heard of it, I thought it was a joke. That any serious car company would put actual engineering effort and resources into such a ridiculous "system" suggests that these cars are at a depth of bland, boring, and lifeless beyond anyone's worst fears. It also proves that driver engagement does actually matter. And the very existence of such desperate efforts to make EVs feel like not an EV is in itself an admission that EVs are lacking in desireable characteristics that non EVs have.

Seriously, who is this fake manual system intended to fool? A fake clutch pedal and fake shifter lever, both connected to nothing and doing nothing? How bad must the car be if this is expected to be seen as an improvement? And who will buy it? Last I checked, children don't buy cars, and adults don't play pretend. The people trying to pedal these things have at best no understanding, and at worst utter contempt for their target customers.
First you are simply restating m6 point on Cadillac V6.

A “fake” manual has zero to do with being an appliance any more than having an automatic in a Camaro makes it an appliance.

And an EV may offer you nothing (doesn’t do much for me yet) but it does do prett6 much everything you claim to want with the exception of NVH and shifting and as most Camaro buyers buy automatics it does everything most Camaro buyers ant with the only exception being NVH.

I’ll say it again, EVs offer everything but GENUINE vroom, vroom sounds and fast charging.

If you really and truly believe GM would replace the Camaro and CT4/5 with cars that aren’t interesting, engaging and enjoyable to drive then you simply letting your anti EV colors cloud your vision.

And if you simply read Taycan or eTron GT reviews with an open mind (hard to do these days) you will not read about boring appliances. They are beautiful, and from every review, awesome performance cars. But they are EVs.

It’s totally ok if you need the NVH of an ICE. Big fan myself. But people have to stop with the BS that simply being an EV precludes it from being an awesome performance car.

Everyone is starting with SUVs right now because that’s where the volume is. And no a Bolt or Bolt EUV are not awesome performance cars. But they are no more appliances than a Trailblazer.

Me? I fully believe GM has a performance coupe on the way. And short of the NVH issues I expect it to drive and handle very well. I expect it to be great to look at and exciting to drive. They won’t do it if they can’t achieve those things. It won’t be a Cruise Origin or even close as some people keep going on about them being appliances.

Saying an EV is an appliance is just a weak put down when all you have to do is look around at the EVs here or coming. It’s just simply not a true statement but an easy slight to make.