View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #61
JAZ

Drives: 86 Mustang GT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Just curious, what are the reasons for the Mustang hate? Is it purely styling? The owners are exactly like us...
That is a great question that I often ponder for myself.

Being a longtime Ford and Mustang guy, I sometimes find I have to stop myself from being negative about a nice looking Camaro that I see on the road. Styling probably has almost nothing to do with why I react like that.

I think that one answer is that I have never known anyone with a Camaro and haven't built that immediate sense of "The owners are exactly like us". I can tell myself that, and I can believe that, but I don't feel that. It's as if you Camaro guys are foreigners and therefore suspect. Bigotry.

The same goes for my knowledge about Camaros. I know the history of Mustangs very well, and have driven or rode in many of them. I know little about Camaros. It's as if Camaros are European cars or something and I don't feel like spending the time to get to know them. It's easier to tell myself I don't like them. Prejudice.

After many years as a Mustang fan I feel like I am on some kind of a team. I have many friends who are Mustang owners, and I belong to a couple of Mustang clubs. Breaking that history might be like being a traitor to "My Team". The 'Team' thing gets in the way of good judgement in many areas. Politics, sports, friendships. It can be inhibiting. Stupidity.

Something that I have always wanted to do in my pursuit of a cure for my condition is to do a road trip with a bunch of Mustang and Camaro owners. Road trips can overcome many ills.
JAZ is offline   Reply With Quote