View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #190
revychevy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
We can—actually, I'm sure we will—bicker about this for weeks. Please remember that offering a high-performance version of a 4-cylinder engine with forced induction does not require you to purchase it. This would be an option granted to those who want the unique styling of a Camaro above all else.

Start thinking outside of the Camaro-Mustang-Challenger rivalry. GM is winning this rivalry now, but GM doesn't have a product to compete with some of our low-displacement import competition. An Alpha Camaro will weigh less and therefore be a perfect fit for that market with the right pricing and engine options. Camaros will still be available in the traditional V6 and V8 arrangements for the long haul in order to compete with our traditional domestic rivals and to bring enthusiasts what we expect of our favorite car. Of course, not everyone is an enthusiast. Some of these people are just customers wanting something different, and I know a lot of people that want a cool car but don't care how much power it has. A version with a 4-cylinder turbo makes sense for them.

I did notice that a lot of arguments against any 4-cylinder turbo are coming from the V8 crowd. You guys are the heart and soul of high-performance GM drivers, but you are not the market for any 4-banger. Keep that in mind. If you want a 6thgen, then you'll be able to buy one with a V8, as usual. Think of the 4-cylinder model as a stepping stone to convert some ricer kids into real American performance machines. It starts with hot styling, and then they join Camaro5, and ultimately they're so enamored with how awesome Camaro enthusiasts are that they want to show up to a future Camaro5Fest with the V8 they've dreamed of owning since getting their 4-cylinder turbo. It's just something to consider.
I don't mind 4cylinders by the way, I just don't like the idea of the Camaro becoming an econo-box, or even a Honda. If the doom Sayers are right then high gas prices and Govt regulations will turn these cars into sad sack watered down AMC Pacer versions of themselves. I'm old enough to remember the '70s and how Govt regs turned the best muscle cars in the world into catalytic converted 5.7L V8 145 HP having dishrags. I just don't want 2014 and '15 to be like '74 and '75! Where a 4cylinder turbo is the best we can hope for. They did it once, they may do it again. I swear by all that's holy, if they make a turbo 4 Z28 I'll never buy Camaro again.:(