View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #72
1o.f00t.570rk
Tall Guy

Drives: '11 LS SGM, '96 BK, '88 S10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
The 1st gen Camaro is more iconic and popular than any of the 2nd gen years. If GM keeps the retro theme, the 6th gen will be based off the 1st gen.
I am interested in seeing what GM has in mind for the 6th gen styling. I think it will be very similar to the 5th gen, except in a smaller and lighter weight chassis (Alpha platform). The styling of the 5th gen has proved to be popular so far. Why change something good?
The best selling years weren't the 1st gens.

The 1st gen is very popular with collectors, no doubt, but they aren't the only ones that Chevy has to keep an eye out for. There are also a lot of folks into the 2nd gen because it doesn't have the "garage queen" tax due to being as highly desired by collectors. There is also remarkable difference in the looks and style of the 2nd gens in at least the front fascia, so a '71 looks almost nothing like an '81 even though they are both considered a second gen.

It would be a lot easier to remedy some of the (albeit irrelevant in my book) complaints about the current model by taking more influences from the 2nd generation, and stealing some stuff from the 3rd and 4th as well.

For instance, going to a hatchback style rear end. It may lose some stiffness, but if it's a smaller platform with less weight in the first place, then the chassis can be braced in other manners and still retain necessary strength. This would increase the visibility and storage of the vehicle, and allow a softer rear slope so that you have more room for rear passengers.

That said, the SS70 isn't my cup of tea because it's too dang tall and the body lines don't flow at all. I think the next gen will need more radical style designs, but can still take elements from the 2nd gen. If the overall height of the vehicle were something along the lines this rendering:

I think that the 2nd gen look could influence the style while still retaining the evolution of the overall design. If the vehicle will remain roughly with the same proportions it has now, though, then a more 3rd/4th influenced look would make more sense.
On Order: Ported IM
Future Plans: Airlift Suspension - CF Driveshaft - 9in IRS - SC FI - Brembo Brakes - more Pfadt
Team
LLT
1o.f00t.570rk is offline   Reply With Quote