View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #119
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
In all seriousness though, that car is not taken seriously. It IS a great beater for sure, definitely worth having to slay tires but it lacks refinement.
Relative to today, that may be true. But relative to its time, and particularly with regard to handling, no. Either it or its 4th gen Firebird cousin basically owned at least two of SCCA's autocross classes, autocross being as intense of a yardstick by which to measure handling as anything I can think of. Set up for autocross to the same class rules as everybody else, even the 3rd gens can and do still win at the National level.

Sam Strano (multi-time SCCA National autocross champion, who I know to speak to) and at least one other guy who open-tracks his would take issue with your disrespect of the 4th gen chassis's handling as much as I did. And those two guys - people I know from CamaroZ28, FRRAX, and other forums - rarely seem to agree with each other on much.

And you can always swap out the powertrain for something a bit stouter if you're all that unhappy with the SBC. That path is pretty well defined.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote