View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 02:21 PM   #1
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Guessing Whats Under the Z/28's Hood

We've spend quite a lot of time guessing and speculating over whats going into the Z/28 (or whatever it is that has been recently spotted at the 'ring with that huge wing).

Early on there were some thoughts that GM might go with a V6 or turbo4 but the videos that we've seen pretty much kills that idea. We might not agree on whether there is any blower whine but it clearly has V8 rumble.

So here are all the general ideas that I can remember seeing:
  • Small (5.0-5.5L) but high revving NA engine, reminiscent of the old 302 from the original Z/28. Possibly with a flat plane crank
  • LT1 with slight power bump (~20 hp) via things like CAI, freer exhaust, etc.
  • Heavily reworked LT1, akin to the LS6 of the C5 Z06, producing around 500 hp
  • A new large displacement NA engine, serving as the successor to the LS7. Likely to put out something in the mid 500s
  • LT4, making the same 640-650 or so hp that it does in the Z06, CTS-V, and ZL1.
  • 'Super LT4': an even more powerful version of the force-fed 6.2L either through the use of a bigger blower or maybe turbochargers. Minimum of 700 hp
  • Other (please specify)
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum

Last edited by DGthe3; 05-22-2016 at 08:35 PM. Reason: added FPC to choice 1
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote