View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #109
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
I don't think there is anything wrong with people not preferring 4th gens. I like Camaros of all years, but I'm not a big fan of the 1st or 2nd gens for instance. That doesn't mean I have disdain for them, though.

Further, as each new generation comes out, the previous generation (or two) starts getting a stigma. This has already happened with the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gens. While I'm only 30, I still remember the tail end of people laughing at 2nd gens as being redneck rides. Now they're coveted.

3rd gens had this stigma while the 4th gens were new, but they're now becoming "popular" again. I say popular loosely, though, in the sense that more and more of them are being built with quality and those who dreamed of them when young can now buy/build mint examples.

What this means is now the 4th gens get the frowns. That's fine and all, but just remember, those of you who own 5th gens will get the same treatment in the future -- especially those with a V6.

Now, since a couple people want to sling mud about the 4th gen V8's having the same power as 5th gen V6's... I kind of like that you think that. But, because this is a Camaro site and I love all Camaros, it's important to note that your V6 lacks a LOT of torque compared to the LS1. Further, while numbers on paper showed the Camaro making 25hp less than the equivalent Corvette, it was in actuality like it is today -- a LS1 in a Camaro made the same power as a LS1 in a Corvette just as the LS3 in the Camaro makes the same power as the LS3 in the Corvette. Don't forget the significant weight difference.

I don't want to turn this into a pissing match, but it is important for the new Camaro "fans" to understand the true intricacies rather than simply infer things that aren't true. To be honest, a V6 4th gen would be a drivers race with a V6 5th gen. It's just the way it is as the tracks do not lie.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote