View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #94
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
And as a buyer, I don't have to like whatever GM sells. If GM decides to shaft performance car enthusiasts, then I'll just go buy a different car. It's really that simple.
But it WON"T JUST BE GM. It will be everyone.

Yes rich people will go buy premium German they do now. That won't change. But those premium German brands will ultimately have to meet the same CAFE standards too.

The issue for me isn't whether or not there will be a 4 cylinder. And for those questioning a 4 cylinder in a Camaro?

If you can get the performance you might just see it.

If all a Camaro is to you is a "thing" that happens to have 8 cylinders then you will likely be dissapointed in 2025.

But here is the deal. In order to AVERAGE 54.5 under the new footprint guidelines AND have a V8 there will have to be economical choices as well. Putting the 2.5L 4 cylinder in a Camaro is a great choice for some people. Some people want a more stylish car that is economical, easy to use, park drive etc. That is the base engine in the ATS and it drives just fine (not for a Cadillac though )

Also consider this. Chevrolet doesn't have a coupe other than the Camaro. I won't count the Corvette as it is a different animal. So Chevrolet has to get the Camaro to compete with Accord and Altima coupes. So no one should be worried about adding a 4 cyclinder to the Camaro.

So my position is simply this. If it handles, brakes and steer and goes very fast when I put my right foot down on the right pedal...................I don't care how many cylinders are there.

FUTURE SPOILER ALERT - at some point we will be discussing how we can't drive our perforamnce cars when gas is $10 per gallon. Look at the projections for the Chinese auto market lately? 30 million units by early next decade. India? Just barely getting an automobile market. Statistics show that well over half of the buyers in China and India are first time buyers. That is telling. And they will all want oil.

2nd FUTURE SPOILER ALERT - at some point this conversation will be had about eliminating gasoline or diesel and only having electric propulsion (EVs and Fuel Cells are coming). And EVs can be pretty fun to drive as well.