View Single Post
Old 03-04-2024, 06:37 AM   #1766
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I bought one of those OBD plug ins to address the lack of HUD or in front of you display. I returned it unopened after I found out tesla is voiding warranty if you have OBD plug in mods. Like always with dealer service and Mods voiding warranty YMMV but there are few service places and that's the guidance they have now. Just FYI to hide that if you need to take it in under warranty or for others consider that before buying one.
30 minutes to put it in, 10 minutes to take it out when I need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
OTA upgrades are great, as long as that's all they are. GM mad at Apple from trying to horn in on their stuff? I'm more concerned at GM trying to horn in on my life periodically. I like options. The first option is leaving it up to me to decide what a car company can and cannot "see" in my automotive ownership. The data I generate is mine. I'm creating it. I'm not renting the car. I'm buying the entire thing. That's my blackbox and what the car stores is my information. If I decide to share it, that should always be my choice.

For those that believe the "that's not going to happen" mantra should be aware we all already know what the nose of a camel looks like. Every company in the world wants to get in everyone's back pocket and follow them around. Almost literally. They bash Google for it, probably more out of jealousy more than about privacy issues.

I see the point for both sides. I used to work in a different industry than the automotive one, but customers are customers and data mining their information is core to the business, regardless of what industry you're in. Customer feedback is good, but data mining is better, especially when you force people to allow you to do it or they can't use your product. If you use the info internally to make a better product and gain market share, that's all cool. But how do we really know they're not selling our names on a list even if they say they won't? We don't.

Apple sees the cars for exactly what they are. Rolling tech toys. And they want to be part of the car's infrastructure.

The problem with all of it is, even if you bother to read the fine print, is they don't tell you everything they data mine. GM begrudgingly handed over blackbox data in the Alex Murdaugh murder trial and showed some crucial evidence (along with Apple's iPhone data, ironically) to help put him behind bars. They used that data in the trial to document an exact time-line and route and speeds at certain points. If he'd have driven a 1984 pickup and left his phone at the house, it might have been a different trial. Who knows?

And then when you're beholden only to the manufacturer to hold out your hand and take whatever crumbs they're willing to give you as far as upgrades, they also have the power to monopolize your wallet. Just like Tesla and their "no OBD plug in warranty voiding" rule. To me, that's lame. Another thing I despise about the Tesla and the #1 reason I will never own one is that they got caught video spying on customers. Done. Can't get that trust back.

I would have no problem to be able to opt out of some things or everything without putting the operation of the vehicle I own out of service. TBH, I didn't even realize that OnStar was lost on the older Camaros because of no further support. Fine by me. Didn't use it, don't miss it. I do like the fact that at least for now, I have a CHOICE to upgrade the NAV maps in our 2020 vehicles. Opt in at my choice to pay a price for the USB drive map updates, plug it in and do the updates. At my convenience.

The business model of the future has benefits, but also pitfalls, and I still don't think there's enough protections in place for the consumer to not to be a mis-used data-mining source.
Yeah, this is the new business model for GM and every other automaker in the world, regardless of what makes the wheels move.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote