View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #243
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I never understood why people want to change the camaro into something it is not, when there are already dozens of those other things out there to choose from.

If you want a econobox, get one.
If you want a WRX, go get one.
Nobody is suggesting that the Camaro become either of those things (hint: virtually all of those "alternatives" are 4-door sedans with styling that ranges between bland and downright odd).

I can't help it that "4 cylinders" carries such an econobox stigma, but performance on par with today's sixxer is not econobox country.

I realize this is a "function before form" point of view, but once you're planning on having "X" amount of performance available, how you get there is less important than getting there in the first place. People need to get it through their skulls that nobody here is suggesting a Camaro version that can't even break into the 15's. Low to mid 14's is an entirely acceptable entry point.

But why anybody who overwhelmingly prefers a V8 version should care how the entry point is configured just isn't making much sense here, as they'd all be somebody else's cars regardless. There's no need to feel offended any more than you'd have reason to feel that way by anybody else's SS that was equipped with the "other" transmission. Same deal about different people, different needs or preferences, different choices.

The pickup suggestion is just a distraction into silliness.

Quote:
What is it with these small displacement guys that prevents them from seeing the illogic of their efforts?
Perhaps the logical error lies in the apparent premise that nothing but a large displacement V8 can ever be any good (and that the sixxers get grandfathered in as marginally OK under an appeal to antiquity).

Before you judge, fully half of the cars I've owned were/are powered by V8's. I happen to prefer normally aspirated engines for a variety of reasons, and want to see at least one liter of engine displacement per 750 lbs of car weight (1L per 600 lbs being better still). If you do a little math starting with typical ponycar weights, you'll find exactly one engine configuration that fills the bill for me.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote