View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 08:50 PM   #16
WVaSS

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Grey 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnflash View Post
I didn't see whether you were talking about manual or auto. The following is for the 6 speed manual SS cars. The console is very easy. I did it the hard way one afternoon, taking literally every small piece apart one by one, but afterward figured out that there's a much easier way:

1) There are two screws at the lower back sides (1 ea. side) of the console near the seatbelt buckles. You will see a small round cover about the size of a quarter. Gently pop the cover off (it has a retainer), and unscrew the bolt underneath.
2) Remove the knee pads near the front sides of the console by gripping firmly and sliding the leather(-ish) portion up. It pops off without tools.
3) There are four bolts underneath the knee guards. two screw-in from the side (1 ea. side), like the ones in the back, and two are pointed forward (1 ea. side), toward either foot-well.

Six screws total, should have been removed. This will free the console.

4) Lift upward from the back. There is a small "lip" at the back that tucks under the middle of the rear seat, but if you compress the seat cushion toward the back enough, it will scoot on by.
5) When you get the rear of the console lifted high enough (about as high as the shoulder of the seat backs), you should be able to look under the shift boot, and see the underside of the shift knob (if 6MT), use a torx bit to remove the bolt on the driver's side the side of the knob. You can then slide the knob off the shaft.
6) Unclip 3 (maybe 4... I forget) quick-connect plugs for the various electronics on the console.
7) lift rear of the console up higher, and pull the entire console the rear, sliding it out and under the dash.

Reverse to re-install. Don't forget to reconnect the electronics (all of the plugs are unique, so you don't need to label them). Nice upside if you do it this way from the start (unlike myself), is that you don't loosen any of the nice tight joints where the individual dash components come together.

Don't know about differences on the auto-trans cars, but I would imagine that the shift knob would be the only difference.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for posting this. I just used it to remove the console to hardwire my radar detector to the accessory plug wiring. Your instructions were perfect.
WVaSS is offline   Reply With Quote