View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #93
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
It's interesting to see what you're coming up with and what people's reactions are. I've done this sort of thing myself from time to time in here going back 5 years:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...hlight=7th+gen

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...7th+gen&page=7

As for what you're posting, first I applaud the spirit and effort! Good for you. Now for the feedback. The scoops and gills on the side are unnecessary and clutter up the design. The one in the front fender in particular would probably create a lot of wind noise. The cabin as you've rendered it would not be possible to build. Crash regulations require that the A and B pillars, and to some extent the C pillar provide crash/rollover protection for the occupants. This means they have to essentially be a roll cage. Your A pillar is way too thin; it needs to be a lot thicker. It doesn't appear you have a B pillar so that puts the entire strain on the C pillar which is too far back, and the way it bends wouldn't allow it to function for rollover protection.

Take note in the side view comparing your drawing to a 6th gen, how much thicker their A pillar is, the roof (they do have a B pillar even though your illustration doesn't show it) and the wide area at the top of the C pillar which allows for rollover protection to be built in. You're going to have to take that into account on your design which means either increasing the height of the roof, or lowering the side window height which would make it more like the 6th gen. Keep in mind that adding the thickness for rollover protection is going to use up about 6 inches of space inward from the top and sides of the cabin. That's going to reduce the interior space.

You have to take into account crash crumple zones in the front and back, to absorb impacts. You're going to lose at least 6 inches inward from the body panels for the passenger compartment and the rear trunk opening. The amount you shortened the back isn't going to leave hardly any trunk space. The rear seats are going to push into the space between the rear wheels, and you don't have much space back there in your design. You also have to plan for enough space for a gas tank, and where you're going to put it.

The back has some possibilities. I'd like to see a render where the tail lights aren't on.

The front has too much open; especially the area below the bumper. The forward facing hood scoop has to go. The amount of drag this front design would have would kill gas mileage.

The wheels seem a bit large for the design; maybe go down a size or two to a 19 or 18 inch?

Overall this has a Hot Wheels toy car vibe to it. The one thing I really like is that you put your design into a real world scene, which is something I need to do with mine.

What software are you using to do this?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote