View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #8
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I think 2018 forward will be more telling regarding sales. The competition has upped the ante, but also their prices. The Mustang is no longer the cheaper alternative. I optioned out a base Mustang GT with similar features as I have now on my 1SS and it was about 3-4 grand more. Why? Because the option choices are not as granular as with the Camaro.

In addition to the higher price, the 6th gen Camaro had also gotten a bad rap regarding visibility, interior and looks, which IMO, was largely undeserved.

While there is certainly a 'cockpit' feel to the car, I think the visibility complaint was overblown.

I walked into the dealer with preconceived notions about the car only to be pleasantly surprised. On the very first test drive I had no issues with visibility. I was more taken aback by the torque and had to floor it at least once to the dismay of the sales rep. Changing lanes was a breeze.

We know looks are subjective, but if you read the mags and forums you would think the car was just hideous. IMO, it's far from it. It had a no-nonsense but at the same time elegant look to it. Don't get me wrong, the 2018 Mustang GT isn't a bad looking car either, but I was a little disappointed when I saw it person, even in the color I wanted - Kona Blue. It just didn't seem as aggressive as the pictures made it out to be.

As for the interior, well, you're free to label me a fanboy, but I also had no gripes with it. Even without the leather accents, the look and feel did not come off as cheap. Yeah, it's certainly not a Camry, Accord or Mercedes, but it felt solid! The fabric on the cloth seats also felt well made and durable. I guess only time will tell.

The Mustang's interior looked gimmicky and too busy, and I did not care for the look of the center console. The shifter felt great however, but so did the Camaro's. And from I read, the Tremec Tr-6060 in the Camaro is less problematic. The only feature of the Mustang's interior that got my interest was the 12" digital guage cluster. However to get that, you paid an arm and a leg. It just was not worth it. The Camaro was the better value.

In the end, admittedly, I was most interested in the power, handling and basic creature comforts I did not have in my previous car. Interior quality usually took a backseat when it came to choosing a car.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote