View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #182
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
And a little lower on the power scale becomes unacceptable to many. See the Challenger.
We're talking about the low end of the power scale to begin with, where people don't care much about exactly power there is. I'm pretty sure that holding the power to weight ratio constant while dropping both power and weight slightly would not bother those folks one bit. They aren't enthusiasts who might actually care about "the numbers".

Quote:
But the point you ignored was that the I4 is a step down from the current 6 cylinder. There's no benefit for a Camaro buyer to get one with an I4 over a V6. None. Now, if you're talking about a potential smart car buyer, steer them towards a Cruze, Volt or what have you. But don't change the Camaro. It will ruin it.
Please acknowledge that there is a significant difference between an I4 and an I4 turbo. I've already said in so many words that I consider a NA I4 to be a non-starter (and been implying as much from the get-go). For the people shopping at the entry 300-ish HP level, how you get that 300-ish HP and 275 or so torque is less important than getting there in the first place.

I am NOT suggesting a 200 HP four of any description, even though it seems people keep misunderstanding that.

Quote:
Straw man argument.
Please feel free to suggest a better way to separate a lower-slung sporty coupe from stand-up-tall vehicles of any other description. My point is that people who strongly favor either one of those aren't likely to be happy owning the other (actually, they'd probably just shop elsewhere).

Quote:
No one asked for a 4 cylinder Camaro. So why are we getting one?
Dunno. Rules that neither you nor I have anything to do with or any real influence over?

But one more time <sigh>, neither you nor I have to buy one, if/when it comes out. Nor do you have to feel that the V8 version you do buy is somehow any less satisfactory because a version that you wouldn't ever want exists. Just let those "lesser sub-models" be "other cars I would never buy" and leave it at that. It isn't that hard.

Quote:
If older models are better than the new models, I won't buy a new model. Simple as that.
I'm not sure where you're going with that, but I might actually agree. I know that if I needed a ~40 mpg commuter car that I would not be shopping new for it. Not in anybody's store.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote