View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #323
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
My kid wants to get a car right after he gets out of college...been going back and forth on Cruze or Sonic...Might wait and add a Gen6 to the equation...lol...(He's got his heart set on a "turbo" of some kind)...
Just teach your son that turbo doesn't mean what he thinks it does. It means take a smaller engine and put an exhaust driven compressor on it to make more power than it otherwise would and still get the rough FE of the base engine. Worked great on the Buick 3.8L V6 which was awesome. I was going to get a plate that said Trbo gln or something like that because 3.8L is a gallon LOL. Sounded cooler at the time I guess.

But today it means take an anemic 1.4L and boost it so it has decent drivability and great FE. So the 1.4L T in the Sonic and Cruze has a whole different meaning. 2.0T on the other hand is no better than a good V6 for performance. You just have lighter weight and better FE than the 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I can only base my opinion with my experience on the Kappa platform, and in that application the 2.0T works great.
Mine looked just like the one in your sig. Had the GMPP calibration. Wish I still had it. Maybe you have mine, when did you buy it? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I like the kinder, gentler, Dragoneye.
I watched Dragoneye dissapear over burgers on my back deck after C5Fest. It was an amazing sight. It might take something pretty powerful to bring Dragoneye back. Mr. Wyndham is driving around in a ZL1. Dragoneye had one on order and was lusting after one for many years.

So it's kind of like wishing the butterfly could be a caterpillar again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
If the R&D budget or packaging considerations for the I-4 compromise the V8 version in any way, it's worth speaking out against it before they go too far down that rabbit hole.
The only way that happens is if you don't package for the V8 in the first place. V8 is bigger, needs more radiator and needs a bigger transmission just for starters. So if the V8 is considered from the begining this isn't an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Based on the Kappa platform, packaging is not an issue because a small block Chevy slides right in there ...
I thought Mallet had to use a hammer in a few places