View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #253
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Wish list for things to change on 6th generation Camaro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajmalian View Post
I doubt you've driven an M3 with a DCT transmission because I have driven a few myself and they drive exactly like what 'Sweet Z' has described. I've even driven the new M6 which has DCT and its the same story. DCT's are indeed automatic transmissions equipped with two clutches. Each attending to the alternate gears. The SMG gear box is the one that really can't be categorised as automatic, even though it too works on paddle shifter and shifter lever and no clutch pedal.

I think what you've driven is one of the M3's which was equipped with the SMG gear box, cuz that drove very much like what you initially were describing, basically like a proper manual transmission....just minus the clutch pedal.

Are you sure the M3 you drove had DCT? Because even the current outgoing M3 comes with DCT, but as an option....just needs you to throw in the bigger bucks...otherwise it comes standard with the old SMG or a stick shift!!
Nope 2011 M3 Frozen Gray Cabrio with a DCT

The setup of a DCT is also more similar to that of a manual than an automatic. They are not true automatics and they are not true manuals they are a combination (Semi-Automatic or Automated Manual). Also a Stick Shift is standard, they got rid of the SMG a while ago.

If you can show me that they do still offer the SMG though I'd like to see it because I can't find a single reference to it past 2008...

Last edited by The IOM Ninja; 01-28-2013 at 09:40 AM.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote