View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 12:46 AM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
GM's goal should be weight loss rather than power. Dodge may have the hp crown, but with that land yacht they need all the power they can get. Hopefully the Alpha platform will shave quite a bit of lbs.

Test drove a 392 the other day. It's substantially more powerful than my 2011 5.0, but thanks to all the extra weight it feels much slower.
With the Mustang going up about 50lbs, and the Camaro likely to drop about 100 (if not 200) ... they should at least be evenly matched on the weigh scales, with the advantage probably going to the Camaro though the difference isn't likely to exceed about 50lbs.

On the 'normal' trim levels, it looks like the Camaro shouldn't have much of an issue out-muscling the Mustang based off of current engine offerings, and up top ... its nothing more than speculation about speculation. We don't know enough to make a decent guess yet, so there isn't much point in even trying. How about we revisit this idea in 6 months or a year when we know a bit more.

But overall ... GM has 'won' the battle of the 5th Gens. Year over year, the 5th generation Camaro has consistently outsold the 5th generation Mustang. Regardless of power to weight or visibility or ride or handling or interior styling or exterior bodywork or questionable tail lights or price or whatever ... more people have decided that new Camaros are more worthy of their hard earned dollars than Mustangs over the last ~5 years. Because when it comes down to it, that is the ultimate goal of an automaker. Everything else is secondary.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote