View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #28
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Fleet pricing is much different than you or I buying a car. The district doesn't even work with a dealership, they have their own fleet agent directly from General Motors they purchase the cars from. They might get delivered to a dealer and then the district picks them up from there, but they do not work with the dealership and the pricing is completely different.

Even if you COULD buy the Caprice PPV it would be $38-45k as the standard consumer price anyways, which is right in the same range of a Camaro SS. They probably paid $25-30k each through fleet pricing for their Camaro SS patrol cars. Hardly a misappropriation of funds.

Also, there's usually at least 2 cars on any scene with the exception of speeding tickets - and even then after a few minutes a second car arrives. There's no "inefficient use of tax payer money" on a crime scene. Everyone there is on the clock to begin with, it's not like they get paid by the call.
Any chance you or a family member are or were an officer?

My wife works for Ford Credit I'm well aware of how fleet pricing works. I don't care if they get the Camaros for $5 the Caprices would then cost $4. There is no reasonable explanation for needing 17 Camaros for this individual department! If you insist on needing it for PR or a pursuit then 1-2 would be just fine, but 17!!! I don't think so!!!

These aren't even under cover cars that could be used to patrol unsuspectingly. They have no practical use!

Look you and I aren't going to agree so no need to go rounds over this. As an SC resident I am extremely disappointed that state tax money funds stuff like this when clearly we have plenty of other issues that need to be sorted!

I'm absolutely not here to start some politically charged argument so this will be my final post on this thread, but ask yourself this. With the issues we have going on in this country don't you think that money would've been better spent on fully outfitting their department with body cams? Currently they are "Testing" cam setups instead of making a decision and getting them. Bottom line these SEVENTEEN CAMAROS were a misuse of funds and it was to reward themselves with some fun cars, PERIOD!