View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #238
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm going to throw out a situation for this discussion. I think the 1LE is perfect for me. I've been waiting since 2006 for a sweet Camaro that I can keep forever, but I am not fortunate enough to have found lucrative employment despite my college degree, work experience, and general professionalism. I chose to join the Navy, and receive less pay than any similar job would receive in the private sector. I can afford to get a used 2010-11 SS in the near future, and I'm not waiting another couple of years to get my hands on a new 1LE. 7 years is long enough. Instead, I'm likely to purchase the SS and get the 1LE track pack or similar goodies from Pedders. I will upgrade to a 3.91, and the only thing left will be cosmetics and the transmission gearing, which I wouldn't touch anytime soon. My 2010-11 SS will be very similar to a 1LE because it's the right car for me but I can't swing it. Fortunately for me, I can get the used SS and enjoy 1LE handling because GM offers parts separately at the parts counter. Asking GM to snipe some parts is a problem for 2 reasons.

The first reason is that GM has to replace stock parts in the event of equipment failure or damage. Someone scuffing their bumper is a good reason to offer people replacement bumpers, and allowing people to order just a bumper gives them the option to paint it or customize it. Removing that option means that replacing a damaged bumper will become an unpleasant and time-consuming experience.

The second reason is that limiting options could be damaging to profits. Someone in the aftermarket will make a similar, lower quality option, and invariably it will make cars that use the cheaper alternative look like garbage. People will see this, and they will perceive the GM product to be garbage. This hurts GM because people will buy non-GM if that perception exists. Perception is reality.
warn 145:159 ban