View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #131
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I don't think it can be denied that there is a definite "stigma" and mind-set about them that will cause GM to lose Camaro customers...that is, those who see the brand as a way to get away and be different from all the existing 4-banger, rice-rocket, econo-cars that are in vast supply in other models...
I'm trying really hard to avoid coming to the wrong conclusions here, but I just can't see why if you can make the choice you want that the existence of any other option matters. What I can see is that all three engine configurations (4, 6, 8) probably can't be accommodated in the same relatively low-volume platform

I've been at this sort of decision point before, several times.

In 1979 when we had a Malibu 2-door coupe built to order, it was the top-available engine for low altitude (with a 4M tranny, HD cooling and alternator). Since we never considered anything but a V8/MT coupe, it's as if all other variants were being sold on another planet.

Same thing with the Mustang, except that I wasn't interested in the GT500 beyond wanting two sets of its front tire and wheel package fitted to my car on its build. That other versions exist still doesn't matter, so it really doesn't matter to me how they were equipped; none of them are in my driveway.

Even the last time was a similar decision point, only it was H4 turbo vs either H4 NA (about 1/3 less power) or H6 NA (with similar power). While I know intellectually that the other versions exist (and are in fact more popular), it's not something I'd ever dwell on. If I wanted to think about it at all, it'd be really easy to come to the conclusion that I'd picked the best of the bunch while other buyers simply chose differently. I'm OK with that.

Quote:
...Just because the I-4 technically can work in the new Camaro platform, doesn't mean it "has to" go in it...Get your 4 in a GM Cruze, Sonic, or Spark.
Make that a normally aspirated 4 in all of those platforms and I'd probably agree wholeheartedly (I haven't really been considering a NA 4-powered Camaro other than as a V8 AFM condition). 1250 lbs/liter (NA) is not very exciting.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote