View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #69
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI HLK View Post
In the end it could be well over the $6.00 mark. You can never judge greed unfortunately.
No it can't. At least not for any significant period of time. Fuel at that level blows up the business model of outsourcing to cheaper labor and shipping all over the world. If fuel goes that high, it will become more expensive to outsource than produce more locally.

In short $6/gal will devastate all the emerging market economies that are dependent on exports stemming from outsourcing by developed economies. And with it, the very demand many speculators are betting will push prices higher will disappear as well. $6 gas is not a self-fulfilling prophecy, it is a self-destroying prophecy.

You are right that there is a bubble in prices at the moment. But all bubbles eventually pop sooner or later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Knife_Shamylan View Post
Seeing threads like this make me very torn as the owner of a Camaro and also someone who is studying Environmental Biology and Sustainability. We simply cannot continue using fossil fuels in this country or even the world at the rate we are now. The population simply will not allow it. OTOH, i absolutely love muscle cars and would love to own something that sounds and burns fuel like there is no tomorrow.

I won't say much more because I know my opinions aren't going to be too popular on this subject. Progress is a good thing though. If you can get comparable power and use less fuel, is this not a good thing? Even Ferrari plans to add a FI V6 to its lineup.
As someone who studies "sustainability," you should know that the Malthusians have always been wrong.

Second, TTV6s are really not any more fuel efficient than NA V8s of similar power, just more complicated. Whatever efficiency gain that comes from downsizing the engine is largely canceled out by the reduction in compression ratio forced induction requires. Ultimately, a V8 with cylinder deactivation is probably the better choice when trying to balance big power and efficiency. This is particularly true for sports cars, which are usually driven harder than normal cars. If the car is driven hard, and the turbos are always spooled up, the NA V8 may actually be the more efficient choice compared to a TTV6.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote