View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #129
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzySS View Post
I'm assuming the "Bogging" for the m6 is so when people dump the clutch there isn't full power to the transmission and clutch. This can't be good for all the components. GM put this safety feature in trying to save on warranty work.
I really hate to keep beating this dead horse, but basically anyone with drag racing experience who has taken a Gen 6 ZL1 with the M6 to a track will agree this car has a problem that goes beyond any drivetrain protection mechanism.

Surely the M6 Z06 would have similar warranty/drivetrain protection concerns, and that car clearly does not have the same problem.

The fact that the A10 runs the 1/4 mile almost a second faster is also a pretty good indication of a problem. Wouldn't GM want to protect the A10's drivetrain too?

Obviously the A10 is expected to perform much better on the strip, but come on. The difference between these two configurations is excessive. A good driver with an A8 SS will consistently beat an excellent driver with the M6 ZL1 on the strip. And that's with nearly 200 less horsepower!!

Also, in order for this to truly be a beneficial drivetrain protection mechanism at work, it'd need to somehow reduce the shock on the drivetrain when the clutch is released. However, this isn't what happens. The clutch is released, the surge of power passes from the engine to the wheels and THEN the engine boggs. At this point the damage is done.

IMO, the "bogging" happens when the car is trying to help the driver maintain control. Unfortunately, it's tuned poorly. The car seems quick to remove power. When it removes power, it removes too much... And then, it's very slow to give the power back.

Also, I believe the fact that GM is using a PERCENTAGE for their wheel slip metric is working against them at very low speeds...i.e., when launch control is needed most.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't believe for a minute this was intentional. If it were intentional GM's advertised 1/4 mile time for the car would be calculated accordingly. In its current configuration, it's nearly impossible to achieve the advertised 11.8 in the M6 ZL1.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)

Last edited by travislambert; 01-18-2018 at 06:18 AM.