View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #61
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Off the top of my head, Sam's seat time in Camaros was mainly in E-Street Prepared, which is a good bit removed from factory-stock in many respects.
Even F-Stock is allowed to run on better tires than the 5th gen Z/28 ships with.

I can't comment on C-M-C; I've never seen the rulebook.

If you're trying to say that the 3rd/4th gen Camaros were decent platforms for their time as something to start from, sure. But that's not quite the same as either this new Z/28 or the original that makes no excuses as to its intent from the get-go.

Norm
I'm certainly no expert, but I was under the impression that certain classes like F-stock only allow for things like tires, but one has to use the same wheels (or wheels that were OE optional for that model; one could also use up-level exhaust for instance... like putting NPP on a non-NPP car would be OK). From my recollection, there was some time that went by before the SCCA changed their rules that allowed Z28 owners to swap their 16" wheels out for the new (at the time) 17" SS wheels.

Again, I am not involved in SCCA other than the two days I participated and met Sam when I owned my 2000 (which, incidentally, was bumped into a higher class because I had subframe connectors). With that said, most serious racers are going to change whatever they can to gain a competitive edge -- that is, whatever is allowed in their class. I'd expect nothing different with the 5th gen Z/28 (the only ones that will likely stay stock are one's that won't ever be used for their intended purpose).

At the end of the day, the point I was trying to make is what you were surmising at the end of your post with 3rd and 4th gens being competitive in the context of their competition at the time. I'd also venture to guess that one would have invested significantly less to make their "stock" Z28 into something competitive on the track compared to this [presumably] $70k monster. I am not saying that in a negative light, mind you, but just saying the 80's/90's Z28 was more "grass roots budget" friendly than this LS7 monster is going to be.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote