View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #169
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyanSS View Post
Not just Camaros, I would say IMO about 95% of the cars from the late 70s to early 90s were hideous looking when I look back on them now.
Fair enough.

Though I LOVE the Corvettes and Camaros of that era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Here is the link...with several interesting bits on the ATS

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows..._cadillac_ats/

If the info in the above article and the quote from an actual GM engineer is true, then I don't see why it can't be at least a few hundred lbs lighter. No reason it should be any more expensive because its lighter. Not like they are using lightweight expensive materials...just a new platform to start on.
That's an interesting link. There is a risk with focusing so much on weight loss...because then you end up with a car like the genesis coupe - sure it's super-light for its size, but it's a tin can.

The good news for all of us here is that this architecture has been built first for Cadillac, and Cadillac has BMW dead in its sights. Refinement is of the utmost importance...and nothing helps achieve refinement, quietness, and smoothness like a stiff body. That rigidity will serve performance variants, we've seen its benefits in the existing Camaro.

So....with all this in mind...the 3-series is about 3400 lbs with a straight 6. Say Caddy can beat that with their 4 cylinder model, achieving 3200 lbs @ 190 hp - that means a V8 model could theoretically hit right around 3500 lbs @ 400+ hp. Add some expensive weight-saving techniques and materials....this moderator can see a 450hp, 3400 lb Camaro in the distant future.

All speculation on my part. Bottom line is they seem to be focusing in all the right places. And if we, Camaro enthusiasts, have to survive with a 6th generation Camaro based off of the ATS....Heck, I'm not going to complain!!!!