View Single Post
Old 10-18-2023, 10:04 PM   #23
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
Good info and the hard truth in terms of the majority of people not caring much about where the product is manufactured. There is a decent amount that do though and it will be interesting to see how this strike turns out.

It's just disappointing that GM had been able to provide us a two door sporty car that's attainable but its going away without a replacement (ev or gas). Most talk about the next Camaro revolves around it being an suv and that is just using the name to sell a vehicle. Unfortunately less people opt for two door cars and so the business case becomes harder but Toyota still cares about cars and even offers a couple two doors. Honda still builds cars and of course there is the Mustang from Ford. There is a market for cars below the level of Corvette and I'd like Chevy to offer something as they traditionally have.

I haven't upgraded to a sixth gen mostly because it would be a stupid financial decision. If I was looking though I wonder if I'd look at Mustang because the Camaro is smaller than I'm used to. Living with the inconveniences of the car is quickly overcome when driving it though and I wish more people valued that. Sure it could have more visibility and storage space but it doesn't need four doors and a raised driving position. Maybe asking non "Camaro" people would have just got us to Camaro suv sooner.
I think a replacement is coming. Maybe in name only but my hope is, and I’ve been consistent here, is an EV that actually make 5e die hard on this site go, “hmmmmmm, maybe”.

As you point out there is a market below Corvette, but the issue is it’s probably not profitable for GM to be in hat market. Just like it wasn’t profitable to keep Impala and LaCrosse and Cruise and Verano or Spark and Sonic. Now you could make the argument that it was simply those cars weren’t that great and if Gam had just done a better job those would still be on sale. And as pointed out Honda still has Accord and Civic, Toyota still has Camry and Corolla and Hyundai and Kia both have whatever I can’t remember their cars names in those segments. But for the most part those cars have volume around he world where GM, other than China had little to help defer the costs.

In the end building the best car isn’t enough because the best car with the best performance doesn’t help win the sales crown. Mustang has that without advertising and without numbers to back it up, my bet is GM is on par or beating Mustang in the performance version but far behind in the non V8 sales and I would be shocked if % women buyers want 2x he Camaro for Mustang if not higher.