View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #780
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I agree that getting way over 300 HP is far fetched, but getting to 300 HP and about 350TQ is not.

I mean, they already damn near did it with an optional GM factory tune for the Cobalt SS. 290hp and 340TQ

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=19212670

I think whatever Ford does could be a clue on what GM does. Rumors suggest that the next Mustang base engine will be the V6, with possibly a slight power increase over the 305HP/280TQ it currently has. An optional engine could would be the turbo 4, and if that is true I'd expect it to have around 300hp and 340+ TQ.
What they can do and what they will do are usually two different things.

Why would you want to have a 4 cylinder turbo equal to the V6? The reason to buy the V6 can't simply be "hey, I want equal performance but worse FE"?

Also you have to consider why GM made the GMPP kit available as an aftermarket accessory and not a production improvement. Guessing there is some warranty issues that are covered by the extra $500 it cost.

I had that kit in my Sky Redline. It made a really nice improvement. The biggest was the torque jump. Going from 270 to 300 was ok but it pulled like a little locomotive with the 335 (if I recall correctly) lbft of torque.

If they try to pump up the 2.0T to the levels everyone keeps suggesting, then there won't be a need for the 6 cylinder. It will just be 4 cylinder and 8 cylinders optional.

I can't say anymore what they will or won't do. I'm now guessing like everyone else. But I don't see them trying to make a 330 hp 4 cylinder for the Camaro or even for the Cadillac ATS/CTS which arguably would need it more than the Camaro for image.