View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #185
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Yeah, all these supercars are super light.

Off the top of my head, there's the 3800 Audi R8 5.2, the 3700 lb Lamborghini Aventador, the 3600 lb Aston Martin One 77, and the 3500 lb Lexus LFA.
I'd like to raise a few other cars to attention...more closely related to the Camaro's layout...

There's the 3836lb Aston Virage 2+2, the 3800lb Audi RS5, the 3700lb M3, or the 3935lb Merc C63 AMG...

I've been saying all along the 5th-gen Camaro is competitive in terms of weight. There's nothing exceptionally heavy, or light about it when compared on the world stage.

Considering what fbodfather has said...

IF they are indeed working on a 6th gen Camaro, and IF said Camaro is actually based on the Alpha architecture that underpins the Cadillac ATS (to be revealed at 2012 NAIAS). Then it will be significantly smaller...by default loosing some weight...perhaps losing even more using expensive materials in high-end models.

If it looses weight I don't view it as a "fix"...because when you look at the cars listed above, I don't see an inherent "problem". I'll consider it a natural progression of automotive development. Similar to how we abandoned our land yachts of the 60s and 70s for smaller vehicles to help increase efficiency.

But I digress...regardless the reason for it, or perception on my part...smaller, more nimble Camaro = yay!

/mini-rant.

EDIT: For those worrying about the 5thgen not going anywhere soon - you're absolutely right. But this is a little corner of the website where we can suspend reality for the sake of conversation.