View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #41
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
something else to consider:

Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps there ARE some non-traditional buyers who would buy a Mustang with a 4 cylinder?

Not everyone wants a 400+ horsepower V8 - or, for that matter, a 300+ hp V6?

As a product planner - one needs to consider this........
Of course it has occured to us...or at least some of us. But if you take a quick look at the HUGE thread in this section titled "Why would anyone want a 4 cyc 2016 Camaro?" you'll see there are a bunch of people that either still 1) have no clue that you can get good power from a turbo 4 cylinder... 2) Believe a 4 cylinder of any type has no place in a Camaro 3) Wouldn't buy a 4 cylinder car even if it ran 9s in the quarter mile and got 1000MPG.

I'll even admit I'd likely buy a V6 (just because I'm partial to this particular engine) over a compariable turbo 4. Now if the T4 was much faster...well then that could change my mind. But I see the potential of a powerful T4 engine in a car with a relatively light Alpha based chasis. It would make for a heck of a good car. If GM doesn't want to put one in a Camaro, I can see a market for a smaller light coupe with a powerful turbo 4 engine....something that would equal the BRZ/FRS in handling but pull away from it in the straights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
Or the fact Ford is going to sell the Mustang in Europe and Asia for the first time with this generation new on dealer lots.

4cyl Turbo is the logical step for them to offer this engine. Ford has their eyes set on the BMW 4 Series and Audi 5 Series with the new Mustang to fight it out with in Europe, as well as compete with the Camaro here and forgive me for saying this but with it's confirmed weight loss, new suspension setup and brakes, perhaps even some of the Corvettes as well.
Going global is a huge reason for a 4 cylinder in the Mustang. In some countries, the Mustang can cost WAYYYYYYY higher just for the simple fact it has a V8. Even a V6 gets absurdly expensive. But throw a 4 cylinder in there and it starts to become within reach of a lot more people.