View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #13
Chevy71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
That's what I'm thinking... With the short, computer controlled lower gears and torque converter on the A10 (and even the A8) and lack of the oppressive M6 torque limiter; there's a lot more power available at the launch. Taller tires help keep these from spinning their tires too much. It's the opposite with the ZL1 M6. I need a shorter, wider tire to make more power available at the tree. The evidence is in the 60' times. I'll still probably have to let it spin slightly but I'm sure it'll hook in the power band much sooner with the 26" Hoosiers. I don't doubt there'll be a learning curve going to the slicks but I'm all about learning...

I really don't expect much sidewall flexing, though. The sidewalls are pretty narrow for a slick at this wheel size. I doubt it could be worse than the MTs. I had to pedal it several times when I felt the ass-end wagging on the big end. I'm planning to start the Hoosiers off at 20 PSI cold with 5/8 tank of fuel. If they feel like they're flexing too much down-track I may add a pound or two. If I'm not getting enough traction at the tree I'll add a few gallons of fuel.

Thanks!

--Cal
For me, the radial MT hooks up well and the sidewall is supportive enough that I can get by with good street launches, and able to drive to and from the track with the tire (or while out trolling, if you are into that sort of thing). The Hoosier doesn't act like most radials and you will have a small learning curve to it. It will hook up and flex out of the hole, it can catch itself while spinning from getting hotter and sticky so you don't have to really pedal the car like you would on a radial. Yours not having a lot of sidewall may not flex as much, and may not be lose on the big end like the Hoosier was for me on my older car. Honestly, it's a good tire, you just have to drive it differently and learn how it acts compared to most radials. It's also a tough tire to troll the streets on or drive to and from the track with, but it's made more for the track. It's also going to heat up a lot different than the radial does. Hopefully this was helpful for you.

I have an M6 as well and getting all that car at once is certainly different than the auto. The TM system on my car is very mild compared to the stock set up because it's been tuned out of it, but your car probably pulls all sorts of timing from you off the line just from that over active TM system! It's frustrating haha. Tuning it is nothing like it was on the LS platform. You can't just go in and shut that off anymore. You have to trick it with funny air tables and things of that nature (I don't know exactly because I didn't tune this car.)
SW long tube headers
3" stainless mid pipe - Secondary Cat delete - High flow cats
Port and polished heads-Double valve springs-platinum lifters & push rods
Cam phaser limiter - DOD delete
P1SC-1 Pro Charger 3.7 pulley
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs
Chevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote