View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #146
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
There is more involved in making a better car than making it faster

I completely agree, some work on the interior will be amazing in the next generation, even if its half as nice as what I see in the upcoming Impala.

*edit*

there are also more ways to make a car faster than reducing weight

You're right,

1) they can also resort to over-engineering a drivetrain that will only make it into 1 or 2 submodels in the entire GM lineup, as well as the ensuing work to bulk up every other component to take the added stress and add weight.

2) they can take advantage of the Alpha platform and its modularity and utilize lighter weight components and inserts while still maintaining strength.

Considering those two options I think they will decide to pick a little more of 2 - when you consider everything (I'm especially thinking cost wise since I KNOW you will bring that up). The ZL1 is going to make people's jaw drop and we know what MR suspension can do on a lighter vehicle (look at the ZR1). The benefits of the new platform are indeed lighter weight and the fact that GM just inked a deal with a carbon fiber manufacturer means they are thinking the same thing. The Camaro really only needs to improve on one thing and that is weight (well- and somewhat the interior- but that is progressing even in the 2012 models). The weight drop will improve the "feel" or make it more "tossable" which I personally don't have complaints with, but those are some of the critical points I have read. Suspension, styling, etc are all there so what is the big deal about wanting lower weight? Seriously? The Camaro is awesome already, but I think even the engineering staff would disagree with you in your adamant defense that it wouldn't be even better with less weight.