View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #104
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdepew View Post
Saying the quality on the C7 is "perfection" is a bit premature given no one even has one yet. Going overboard like that suggests you aren't being very objective.

My opinion on the C7 (and I know that others will have differing opinions):
- Front looks good.
- Side looks mostly good. The area around the hatch doesn't look great to my eyes but looks OK.
- The rear is a design fail.
- The little Stingray/Guitar logo looks stupid and should go.
- Too many vents (functional on Z51 or not).
- Interior looks like a big step up from the previous generation.
- Power is fine. Not a big bump, but the C6 already had good power.
- Weight went up in the C7 which is a serious fail. The weight increase wasn't huge, but the weight should have come down. This concerns me from a Camaro perspective.
- I havent set in one, but from others that have it looks like the C7 compromised rear visibility which I don't like.

All in all, I think it is a great car except the rear is so ugly.
The weight going up is not a fail at all let alone a serious one.

The car has so much technology and features on it that making the aluminum frame and carbon fiber standard on the base car was required.

The aluminum frame and CF we put on the C6 Z06 saved 165 pounds allowing the Z06 to be a huge win. My team had actually removed the power cinching latch on the hatch to save almost 4 additional pounds. It was later put back in as customers wanted the easier closing hatch. But if you look at the ZR1, almost all of the weight was put back in to get the car the leather interior, sound deadening, MR shocks, etc.

The only way the C7 would have weighed less would have been to make it bare bones and that sure wouldn't win Porsche fans over as their cars have wonderful interiors as well as performance.

They may still do a light weight car. Who knows. We used to propose doing exactly that. Take a C6 base car and use the aluminum frame and CF bits but use the base car brakes, engine etc.. This would have resulted in a nearly 3,000 pound car with an LS3. That would have been something.