View Single Post
Old 05-25-2015, 10:39 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Is that for real? If that's the case, I'm very disappointed. This means the new SS will have collectively less aggressive gearing than the 5th gen, yet turn a higher RPM on the highway. I wanted the opposite.

I like the current gearing for the 5th gen SS because it is more aggressive on lower gears and very tall on the highway. This is why the base SS is superior to the 1LE in drag racing, while getting better highway mileage at the same time. Seeing them put those crummy 1LE ratios in the base M6 SS tranny is a disappointment. Putting a 3.73 rear stock is also extremely aggressive for GM and gives little room for aftermarket improvement. You'll be turning high RPM's on the highway this way and have a structurally weaker rear gear set because they are essentially thinner.
Umm ... you might want to look at the data sheets again. I think you're looking at the Mustang Performance Pack numbers, not the 2016 Camaro. The new SS is geared slightly taller than the old, but it works out to only 1 mph in 6th @ 1500 rpm.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum

Last edited by DGthe3; 05-25-2015 at 10:43 PM. Reason: I think I figured out where he went wrong
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote