View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #21
Sunsnare98

Drives: 2017 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by zshazz View Post
The new PP has an upgraded suspension and better tires (with indications that the widths will remain unchanged), but the PS4S tires, as wonderful as they will be, aren't as dedicated to max performance as the 1LE's Supercar 3 tires, plus they're thinner (or, rather, the 1LE has monstrously huge tires). Right now, even if you believe that the chassis of the Camaro isn't outright better than the Mustang's (for performance, at least), you could only really make sense of that if you believe the Camaro's chassis is so inferior that smaller, less grippy tires are able to out-handle it (a pretty bold claim and a lot of speculation that is going against the opinions of professional car reviewers). That said, I don't know what the PP2 package entails (maybe it's just PP + MRC, or it could be a package that adds wide tires and a few extra bits from the GT350 to, hopefully, bring the GT PP2 up to the 1LE's level).

I'd say it'd close the gap some, but even with a tire/wheel swap to match (and ignoring the better 2-piece rotors on the 1LE, which will better handle the stress of track driving), it's hard to discount the magic of the E-LSD + PTM combo for non-professional race car drivers. The average track-day enthusiast is likely to go faster in the 1LE than the Mustang GT PP, all other things balancing out. But both cars are going to be so fast that it really won't matter, though. I just suspect that the Camaro will be more accessible and more thrilling (esp. considering factors like the exhaust sound).

In summary: I'd say temper your expectations and realize it'll be a good "middle-ground" performance car, otherwise you're probably going to end up being disappointed. It'll definitely make for a good Head 2 Head, though.
I actually think the new Michelin tires will be better...a lot better actually. Wide isn't always better either. It's relative to the chassis. But I agree that the e-diff will separate the two alone. But we also don't know the power levels yet. But a 7500 redline is amazing, especially if it has more hp and torque than our cars.
Sunsnare98 is offline   Reply With Quote